Thursday, April 29, 2010

Wikis

Wikis can be a really good tool...if you understand the purpose of them and how they work. I am constantly telling my studenets that they are NOT an authoratative source for finding factual information on a topic or person for that matter. However, sometimes we give wikis a completely bad reputation instead of seeing the positives that they do offer. One thing that would be interesting to use a wiki for is students' favorite books. I would love to create a wiki and put it on the library webpage and allow students to go in and add thier favorite book or book series. It could be something they got from our library or not. It would give me some good starters for collection development, as well as let students see what their peers are reading and loving :) In that case I would just have to make sure it is set up to recieve authorization from me before posting to the Internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment